Monday, April 23, 2012

Sitting on the Dock of the Bay

What an interesting trek this has been.  The morning started with coffee in Brevard, reports of swirling flakes of snow, a mad dash to washing my favorite jeans, and throwing things into the suitcase!  And then by 9:30 I was headed up the road towards Lake Toxaway, to wind my car down through the gorgeous gorge towards Florida.  Ten hours later, I am here.  Safe.  Thank God! 

I am now ready to engage with my brothers and sisters from all over the world, in what will become known as the General Conference of 2012.  It is an awesome responsibility, and an incredible honor to be here-- ready to "re-think" church as the billboard greeted me off of I-275.  Honestly, I think I could pick out the cars from out-of-state that looked to me as if they were hauling United Methodists! 

I am eager to see my friends from all over the country.  Some of my students from Brevard College who are now in seminary out in California will be here in Tampa, with all of their energy and new dreams of what church could mean to a new generation.  I will be hanging out with them I am sure, because they give me hope for the mission of our church.

I am also eager to hear the many languages and see the cultural dress of nearly 39% of the delegation, from the Congo, Zimbabwe, Philippines, Germany, and many many more!  It is a beautiful array of colors and sound.  As I was driving into Tampa, I was wondering what many of these African delegates think of this city.  I remember the first time I was driven through the African city of Nairobi and just how amazed I was at the bustle.  It felt overwhelming.  I'm sure they are feeling overwhelmed, and more than likely-- sleepy!   

Many prayers are being lifted now as we prepare tomorrow to open in worship.  Our dear Bishop, the outgoing President of the Bishop's Council, will be the preacher.  I haven't yet been to the Tampa Convention Center, but that is where I'm headed in the morning to get registered, and to meet up with other WNC peeps. 

More to come...  but for now, it's time to put my feet up and breathe! 

No comments:

Post a Comment